‘If music be the food of love, play on…’
Here are the breakthroughs of the last seven decades in music, according to the music department: do you agree? Take a look at the links below. Choose one of the decades and make a YouTube video answering Mr Griffin’s question.
· Elvis and Rock ‘n’ Roll; what was it all about?
· Miles Davis: Cool jazz, the response to bebop
· The Beatles: England’s take on Rock ‘n’ Roll. How did they become the biggest band in history?
· Heavy Metal: Did Black Sabbath really invent Heavy Metal music in Birmingham
· The death of two Giants; Britten and Shostakovich. Choose one and assess their impact on classical music.
· Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston? You cannot choose both.
· Birmingham’s Symphony Hall was opened by the Queen in 1991. What other grade A concert halls has the Queen opened across the UK?
· Can you name 10 classical composers actively composing music in the 21st century?
· To date, how many Masters of the Queen’s Music have there been and what is their role?